top of page

Protecting Your Property From Trespassers

There has been an alarming amount of news stories regarding trespassers taking over your vacant units and claiming to have a valid tenancy. In most cases, they will produce a fraudulent lease. The police are unable to arrest for trespass, as they consider this to be a civil matter. Landlords in this situation are forced to proceed with a type of eviction entitled, Forcible Detainer. 

There is a way, under Civil Code Section 602, to protect yourself. There is a form that can be filed with the local police station, which will allow the police to arrest a stranger who takes over your unit. Please review the 2 forms below. Once this form is filed with the police department, you will be protected up to 1 year. If you have a vacancy, consider using this form. 


bottom of page